Thursday, April 9, 2015

4 Ingredient Chili

Even though the weather will start to turn warm, chili is one of those dishes I make all year.  It freezes beautifully, stretches the budget, and is very versatile.  You can eat it in a bowl topped with cheese, crackers, sour cream, etc.  Chili can be ladled over hotdogs in the summertime.  Chili also makes a yummy topping for nachos. 

Today I am home bound with my oldest having round two of strep throat.  When I was shopping yesterday, I found ground beef on sale.  While at the store I believed I had all the rest of the ingredients at home to make my classic chili recipe.  So, this morning when I went to the pantry to gather the ingredients, I realized I am out of crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, fire roasted tomatoes, and onion. 

Ok, so what do I have??? I had one can of stewed tomatoes, one can of chili beans, and left over pasta sauce. I always have minced dried onion in my spices, so I knew I could swap that for fresh onion.  I was back in business.

Now I have listed this as four ingredients because I am not technically counting the spices.  Spices are staples for a lot of us.  However, if you want to get picky you I guess it would be considered eight ingredients if  you count the four spices ;)

ingredients

2 lbs. ground beef (ground chicken or turkey work well too)
2 c. pasta sauce (jarred or home made)
1 14.5 oz can stewed tomatoes
1 can Bush's chili beans

spices:
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 1/2 tsp. salt
2 tbsp. dried onion
2 tbsp. chili powder

In a large stock pot or deep fry pan (like a chicken fryer), brown meat with onion in about 2 tsp. oil. Once all the meat is browned, drain any excess grease.  Add the salt, pepper, and chili powder.  Cook the meat for another two to three minutes to allow the spices to develop. 

Add the tomatoes (breaking them up a bit), pasta sauce, and chili beans.  Combine and cover.  Simmer on low for about 30 minutes. 

That's it!  You are done. It's easy, delicious, and is a staple in our home.

No comments:

Post a Comment