Sunday, January 15, 2012

BBQ Pulled Pork

Yesterday I was able to watch a new episode of Pioneer Woman on Food Network.  I was so happy. I really enjoy watching her, she's so down to Earth.  Well by coincidence she was making pulled pork.  I laughed and thought great minds think alike. 

I will try her recipe, but for now here is how I did mine. 

I used a pork tenderloin (actually two of them, about 1 lb each).  I simply put it in the slow cooker, with a dusting of salt and pepper.  I cooked it on high for 4 hours. 

Then I removed the pork and let it rest for about 15 minutes on the cutting board.  Now, you want to begin to shred or "pull"  the meat when it is still warm.  Letting it rest for a few minutes allows it cool down a bit to handle.  With two forks, begin the pull the meat in opposite directions, it will start to shred.




Shred all the meat and put into a large bowl.



Add your favorite BBQ sauce and stir until coated.


Serve on a crusty roll or hot dog bun.



Here's the BBQ sauce recipe I used.  I got it from my friend Amy years ago.  I believe it's the BBQ sauce from the copy cat recipe for Roadhouse Ribs.  I like it for all kinds of BBQ.  (I omitted the whiskey, simply because I didn't have any.)

recipe

2 tbsp. oil
small onion, diced (I used 2 tbsp. minced dried onion)
1 1/2 c. water
6 oz. tomato paste
1/2 c. apple cider vinegar
1/2 c. brown sugar
2 tbsp. honey
1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 3/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/8 tsp. garlic powder
1/8 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. whiskey

In a saucepan brown onion in oil.  Add remaining ingredients.  Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer for 1 hour.


No comments:

Post a Comment