Friday, October 21, 2011

Baked Apples

I am so homesick right now.  When I feel this way, I try to find comfort in old memories.  The weather has taken on a chill, and when I was little my mom always made baked apples in the fall.  The house would smell of cinnamon and brown sugar, and it was difficult to wait the hour for them to be done.  However, when they finally emerged from the oven it was worth it.

This is very simple and can be done in the microwave, but I chose to make them just like mom.  Of course you can doll them up with nuts or poach them in cider or little liqueur.  I kept it simple, just apples, cinnamon, brown sugar and butter.  I put them in the oven right after dinner, and an hour later the apples were perfect.  My mouth was watering, and I was back in my mom's kitchen. 

What memories do you have that you find comfort in???

The measurements here are approximate, it all depends on the size of your apple.

  1. Core your apple.  Firmer apples work better. Place in an oven safe dish.
  2. Fill the cavity with brown sugar, about 1 to 2 tablespoons.
  3. Sprinkle with cinnamon, about 1/4 teaspoon.
  4. Dot with a pat of butter.
  5. Bake in a 350 degree for approximately 1 hour.
The apples are done when a knife inserts easily.  Allow to cool, and spoon syrup in the bottom of dish over apples.  Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment