Thursday, August 18, 2011

Candy Bar Explosion Dessert Pizza

A lot of material for my blog comes from my husband.  He is constantly coming home from work, telling me of another potluck.  He almost always signs me up for a dessert.  Seeing he has had several dozen potlucks over the last several years, I keep trying different ideas.

So this time around, he asked for something he could make.  After he had success making my peanut butter cookies on his own, he thinks he's a pastry chef that can tackle anything.  I started throwing out ideas of things I believed he could handle, and he kept vetoing them.  Finally I said, "What about a dessert pizza?"  Aha!!! We found a winner.

To break it down I thought immediately of cookie crust, and I would use my soft sugar cookie recipe.  This recipe is actually quite simple; Jay could handle that.  Then I thought for the "sauce" we could do a ganache, again another simple recipe only two ingredients.  Finally, Jay could surely chop up candy bars for toppings.

So the week progressed, and his work schedule took over.  I knew he wasn't going to be able to make it himself.  So yesterday after dinner, I made the cookie dough so it could refrigerate overnight.  At this point, it was probably a good idea Jay didn't participate.  He was telling his co-workers, dessert pizza was a regular pizza crust (i.e. savory crust) with chocolate on top.  The overall response to this was not pleasant.  I informed Jay of his error, and told him to assure his co-workers I would be making it not him :)

So here it is, my version of dessert pizza.  I chose peanut butter cups, Snickers, and Twix for toppings.  You choose what ever meets your fancy.  Be creative, use Mounds or Almond Joy and coconut flakes, the possibilities are endless! Linking to these parties.

recipe for crust

2 Sticks of butter
1 C. Sugar
2 Eggs
3 Egg Yolks
1 Tbsp. Vanilla
1/4 tsp. salt
2  tsp. baking powder
3 1/2 C. Flour
Cream together sugar and butter, add eggs and vanilla.  Slowly add dry ingredients until dough forms.  Press the dough into a pizza pan sprayed with baking spray. I used a 12" pan, and used about 3/4 of the dough. (you can cut the remaining dough into cut outs or freeze for another day.)  If using a larger pizza pan, you will use all the dough for the crust. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.




Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Bake crust for 17-19 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.  Allow to cool.

recipe for ganache

1 cup of chocolate chips
3/4 cup heavy cream

In a double boiler (I used a metal bowl over a simmering pot of water), melt chocolate chips and heavy cream.  Set aside and allow to cool to room temperature.  Spread ganache over cooled crust.



Chop candy bars into bite size pieces.  I used 24 fun size candy bars in three different flavors.


Top the pizza with candy bars.


To finish the pizza, melt about 1/2 cup of white chocolate and drizzle.  Keep the pizza refrigerated until ready to serve.  Cut into classic slices.


On a side note, in case you are wondering what I did with the extra egg whites from the crust, I made an egg white omelet.



No comments:

Post a Comment