Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Wholesome Wednesday (Gluten-free Chicken Pesto Pasta)

Do you know someone who has a gluten allergy?  I know I do.  I actually know three different people who have major diet restrictions.  In talking to one girl, I asked what she misses the most from her new lifestyle, and she responded pasta.  Continuing our conversation, I asked if she knew that they were gluten free pastas?  She said yes, but said the flavor wasn't that good.  So I made it a quest to come up with a gluten free pasta dish, that she could enjoy.

The recipe is very simple.  The main component of the sauce is pesto.  I used store bought pesto that did not have any gluten preservatives added.  However, you can always make home made pesto.  Then I purchased quinoa pasta in the gluten free section of the supermarket.  My friend was right, upon cooking the pasta, the pasta has a "unique" flavor and a mild after taste.  I did notice though, once it was prepared in the sauce it did not have that strange taste. 

I served it to the hubby last night for dinner, and he commented on how good it was!  Yeah success!!!!

recipe (serves 4)

1 8oz box of quinoa or brown rice pasta
1/2 c. prepared pesto
1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breast
1 can of artichoke hearts in water
1 tbsp. olive oil
wedge of fresh Parmesan cheese, grated for topping

Cut chicken breast into strips or small chunks.  Saute in a large skillet with olive oil.  In another pot, prepare pasta according to pasta directions and drain.  Quarter the artichoke hearts and warm through with the cooked chicken.  Add the pesto and pasta and stir.  If the sauce is too thick add about 1/4 c. water to thin out.  Top with Parmesan cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment