Thursday, April 7, 2011

Cheesecake Tips

I have to admit, I am not a fan of all kinds of cheesecake.  In fact, I never ate cheesecake until I encountered Junior's Cheesecake in NYC.  I still have a problem with the taste of a strong cheesecake, I definitely prefer a more mild flavor.

That being said, I make a lot of cheesecake.  A couple of years ago, Jay bought me the cookbook from the Junior's bakery.  Ever since, Jay asks for cheesecake for his birthday, and it seems to be my go to dessert when having company.  Through all my cheesecake endeavors, I have come up with some tips that are helpful.  These tips will help stop the cake from having a Grand Canyon size crack.  It will also help to perfect the presentation of the cake. 

  • Always start with room temperature ingredients, including the eggs
  • Never run the mixer on a high speed, if using a stand mixer don't go above a 3
  • Make sure to scrape the bowl down continuously between the addition of ingredients
  • Bake the cake in a water bath
  • DO NOT EVER OPEN THE OVEN DOOR BEFORE THE TIMER DINGS!
  • When removing the cake from the oven, move to a cooling rack and leave it alone for at least an hour; do not look at it, breathe on it, just walk away
  • Refrigerate the cake for several hours before removing the spring form pan
  • To smooth out side of cake, run a knife under hot water, dry it off, and gently run it along the side to smooth
  • If all else fails and you have a crack, garnish with fruit and whip cream
I hope these tips help with your future cheesecake adventures!

No comments:

Post a Comment