Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Valentine Inspired Wreath

Today starting off being a two hour school delay and ended up being a snow day.  The boys have declared it a jammie day, and I am taking this opportunity to post a cute craft idea.  I was thinking it has been a while since I did a craft tutorial, and it was about due.

I love the colors that surround Valentine's Day.  I honestly love it more than Christmas decor.  All the pinks, reds, purples, mixed with a bit of white or cream, is just a lovely palette.  While I love this scheme, I discovered I didn't have a lot of decorations for Valentine's. I have the place mats for the table, a flag for outside, and a little wooden decoration for the mantle, but that was it.  So I decided to make a wreath. After making it I was thumbing through a catalog, and saw something very similar for $20.00, mine was only $5.00.

The process is very simple and can be adapted to any holiday or color scheme.  When I worked at a florist, I learned a really easy way to make a beautiful impact with florals is to use one type of flower in abundance.  That is what I did with this wreath. I used roses in three different colors and it turned out really sweet.  The wreath can be hung by adding a simple ribbon loop, or just lay it flat on a table with a candle for a marvelous centerpiece.  Here's how I did it:

supplies (all purchased from a dollar store)

1 foam wreath
4 to 5 bushes of roses
wire cutters
12 inch piece of coordinating ribbon
1 florist pin

  1. Cut all the roses from the bush leaving a 3 inch stem
  2. In a random pattern insert roses into the foam wreath close together, you don't want to see any gaps in the flowers.  Mix up the colors to give a random look.
  3. Cut a 12 inch piece of ribbon and tie a knot in the bottom to form a loop. Using a florist pin insert the pin into the wreath at the top, pinning the ribbon in place as a hanger.
  4. If you want to use it as a centerpiece then omit the hanger and lay the wreath flat on a table placing a candle with a hurricane in the middle of the wreath.

cut roses off the bushes and insert into foam


coordinating ribbon for hanger


shown as a wreath

shown as a centerpiece




Good luck!!!!  Linking to these parties.

No comments:

Post a Comment