Friday, September 3, 2010

One Cheese Three Ways

I really should be dusting the bedrooms, grocery shopping, or better yet exercising.  Instead, I'm blogging for a few minutes. Then I'll resume to the before mentioned tasks.

Last weekend, we went to Fly Creek Cider Mill and while we were there I bought some cheese. I always go for the cheddar that is aged in Howe's Caverns (so yummy), but I also bought the garlic herb cheddar spread.  My original thought while buying it, was I would enjoy it on crackers as a snack.  Then my brain started thinking, how else could I use this wonderful soft cheese????  So I started experimenting and came up with three different uses. While most people won't be going to Fly Creek for this cheese, you can find other soft herb cheddar cheeses right in the grocery store. There are many brands that are delicious, just look for it the speciality cheese case in a tub about 4 oz.

Recipe numero uno:

Chicken sandwiches with garlic herb cheese spread.  This one is super easy, just grill a 4 oz chicken breast. Then instead of mayo, use the cheese as a spread on a toasted bun. The warmth of the bun will melt to cheese to a sauce consistency. Then top with lettuce and tomato. 




Recipe two:

Cheesey Orzo.  To make this wonderful side dish, prepare 1 cup dry orzo according to package instructions. (orzo is a small rice shaped pasta, found in the pasta aisle). Then drain and put back into hot pot with 1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley, 1 tsp pepper, and 2 Tbsp. cheese spread. Let the heat of the pasta melt the cheese and serve as a side dish. The orzo and cheese is so creamy and tastes really decadent and so so easy to make.





Last but not least recipe #3:


Stuffed Mushrooms. Take about ten button mushrooms and wipe clean with a paper towel. Remove and finely chop the stems. In a bowl mix the stems, 3 tbsp season breadcrumbs and 4 tbsp of cheese spread until combined. Spoon filling in mushroom caps and place on cookie sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until golden brown. I served this as a side to my cheeseburger, but would make easy appetizer.



Well, now that I have shared my three ways to use one terrific cheese spread, I must go on with my chores. Come back soon and see what else is cooking.


p.s. I will have instructions for a spook-tacular wreath coming up....start saving used dryer sheets!

No comments:

Post a Comment