Monday, September 20, 2010

Blackberry Jelly (canning recipe)

I love canning.  I know it sounds weird to say something like that, but I really do. Somehow it seems therapeutic to me. I watched my mom can her own tomato puree and chili sauce over the years, and loved that in the middle of winter we would have fresh spaghetti sauce. So, I always knew the basics of canning and about seven years ago, I started canning my own things.

The first thing I canned was apple butter and peach apricot butter. I gave them out as holiday gifts that year and received great reviews.  Over the last several years, I have canned things like pepper jelly, pineapple topping, praline syrup, jellies, and our secret family recipe for bar-b-q sauce. 

Today I am sharing a canning recipe for blackberry jelly.  About five years ago, I planted blackberry bushes. On the second year, I had so many blackberries I had to come up with ways to use them. I immediately thought of jelly.  I grabbed the insert out of the pectin box and looked up the jelly recipe. It is really quite simple and you don't need a lot of supplies. I happen to have a canning pot, but any large stock pot will do.  Also canning jars can be purchased just about anywhere these days.  Then all you need is pectin, blackberries and some sugar.

Just as a side note, please use tested canning recipes. I have the anniversary book from Ball with tested recipes that have the correct acid levels and canning times.  You must be careful to use proven recipes, otherwise you risk the chance of contaminated food.

recipe

4 cups crushed blackberries (i used fresh, but you can also use frozen thawed)
7 cups sugar
1 pouch Certo (liquid pectin)

crush blackberries and strain through sieve to remove seeds. cook with sugar on medium low heat until sugar is dissolved and the boil can not be stirred down (about 12 to 15 minutes). add one pouch of pectin and stir constantly for two minutes. skim foam from the top and immediately ladle into canning jars, and process in a water bath for 15 minutes. remove from water bath and let stand for 24 hours. 

All the instructions are also on the insert inside the pectin box.  It's a really nice way to have fresh food to serve to your family or give as gifts.  I will be posting more canning recipes throughout the holiday season. Give it a try :o)

Blackberry on FoodistaBlackberry

No comments:

Post a Comment